Michael Laing (rock_dinosaur) wrote,
Michael Laing
rock_dinosaur

Leuchars and St. Andrews


Disc shunting signals controlling wrong-direction moves on the Up Main line at Leuchars Station, Fife, 16th June, 2003. The upper signal would be for the Up Main; the lower one for Up Main to RAF Base Siding.


Disc shunting signals controlling wrong-direction moves on the Up Main line at Leuchars Station, Fife, 16th June, 2003. The upper signal would be for the Up Main; the lower one for Up Main to RAF Base Siding.


Rear view of disc shunting signals controlling wrong-direction moves on the Up Main line at Leuchars Station, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An RAF Tornado taxis towards the runway at RAF Leuchars, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An RAF Tornado powers up for take-off from RAF Leuchars, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The site of St. Andrews railway station, now a car park. There were twenty daily departures for Leuchars and Dundee before the station was closed in 1969. Is it not scandalous that such an important university town and centre of tourism should have been left isolated from the railway network? St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An attractive terrace in Hope Street at the western end of St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Attractive houses at the corner of Hope Street and Market Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The ancient West Port, South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The ancient West Port, South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003. Wouldn't the house with the corner-turret on the left be a fabulous place to live?


The royal coat of arms of King David II of Scotland on a plaque on the West Port, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Plaque on the West Port, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


A very old house with traditional Scottish forestairs to the upper flat, South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Eastward view along South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


A close off South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


A close off South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


A wynd leading from South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Plaque giving information on the Blackfriars' Chapel in South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


A fragment of the ruined Blackfriars Chapel viewed from the grounds of Madras College, South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Blackfriars Chapel, South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Bookshop occupying the former premises of the St. Andrews Citizen, South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Doorway in South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Junction of South Castle Street and Market Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


A Wemyssware cat (a style of pottery formerly manufactured in Kirkcaldy) seen in a window in South Castle Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An ancient dwelling with forestairs in South Castle Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An ancient dwelling with forestairs, South Castle Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Northward view along South Castle Street towards North Castle Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Northward view along North Castle Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The ruins of St. Andrews Castle, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.

"St. Andrews Castle was built for the bishops and most of what you can see dates from between 1400 and 1560. It, too, suffered at the hands of [the bishops'] enemies - tunnels were built by attackers and defenders during the seige of 1546. You can still explore them."

(From information plaque at the castle.)


A lane lined with climbing roses off The Scores, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


North Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


A church on North Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


A close connecting North Street and Market Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Buildings in a close connecting North Street and Market Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


A door in South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The ruined west gable of St. Andrews Cathedral, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.

"The west front of a major church contained its main processional entrance, and was usually treated with great architectural emphasis. We do not know what the first facade of St. Andrews Cathedral looked like, since it was blown down soon after completion in the time of Bishop William Wishart (1271-9), and was rebuilt on a different line. Further reconstruction was necessary after a fire in 1378.

"Only the lower parts belong to the rebuilding after the storm of the 1270s, when the front was rebuilt about two bays further east than first intended. At that time the area originally occupied by the bays to its west was made into a low vestibule covered by stone vaulting, the ribs of which are still partly in evidence.

"After [the] fire [of 1378] the porch was removed and the upper parts of the front reconstructed. The design of the new windows is particularly interesting, since they may be one of the earliest cases in Scotland of direct French inspiration in a Scottish building."


(From information plaque at St. Andrews Cathedral.)


The ruined west gable of St. Andrews Cathedral, St. Andrews, Fife, viewed from the end of South Street, 16th June, 2003.


The Pends, a vaulted passageway that led from the town to the harbour at St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The west gable of St. Andrews Cathedral viewed from The Pends, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The Pends, a vaulted passageway that led from the town to the harbour at St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The Pends, a vaulted passageway that led from the town to the harbour at St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The ruins of St. Andrews Castle, St. Andrews, Fife, viewed from the harbour, 16th June, 2003.


The ruins of St. Andrews Castle, St. Andrews, Fife, viewed from the harbour, 16th June, 2003.


Looking along the pier at St. Andrews, Fife, where St. Rule is said to have landed with the relics of St. Andrew, patron saint of Scotland. 16th June, 2003.


A black-headed gull on the pier at St. Andrews on 16th June, 2003.


The harbour at St. Andrews, Fife, viewed from above, 16th June, 2003.

"The first harbour was built around 1100 and became a bustling commercial port. Vessels traded with Germany, the Low Countries and France, as well as other ports in Scotland and England. Trade slumped in the 17th and 18th centuries but, after that, exports of potatoes and grain from local farms increased. Until 1914, a passenger boat served Leith, Dundee and other places during the summer months.

"During emergencies such as the Seven Years War (1756-1763), there was a shortage of able-bodied seamen. The navy had to 'press' men into service because life at sea was hard and dangerous. The press gangs plied fishermen with alcohol and, when they were drunk, forced them to enlist."


(From information plaque at St. Andrews harbour.)


Old cannons on the hill above the harbour, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The east gable of St. Andrews Cathedral, and St. Rule's Tower, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The east gable of St. Andrews Cathedral, and St. Rule's Tower, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.

"A new cathedral was founded by Arnold, who was bishop of St. Andrews between 1160 and 1162. As befitting the administrative centre of the Scottish Church, it was to be the largest in the kingdom. It was eventually consecrated in 1318 after an extended building operation, which was punctuated by one major structural disaster, and followed later by others.

When the cathedral was completed in 1318 after over 150 years, it was the largest and finest in Scotland and the seat of religious power until the 16th century Reformation. The ruins are spectacular and there is a helpful visitor centre displaying some fine ecclesiastical carved stones. There's also a haunted tower built into the abbey wall - perhaps you'll see the Ghost of the White Lady!

The great cross-shaped building had an eastern arm (the choir and presbytery) of eight bays, cross arms (transepts) which projected three bays to either side of the main body, and a western arm (nave) of twelve bays. However, the nave had originally been intended to be longer by at least two bays.

With such a protracted building operation it was inevitable that there should be changes in the course of the work. The most obvious of these is in the design of the windows of the eighth and ninth bays of the aisle flanking the south side of the nave, although the keen eye may spot many less obvious signs of change throughout the building.

The interior had been stripped of its furnishings in 1559, in the first phase of the Reformation, and the roof covering was probably removed in 1561. Decay followed rapidly, and although there were thoughts of restoring it in 1634, by 1693 it had decayed to much the state in which we now see it."

(From information plaques at St. Andrews Cathedral.)


The precarious-looking remains of the west gable of St. Andrews Cathedral, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The west gable of St. Andrews Cathedral, and St. Rule's Tower, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The east side of the cloister, with arched entrances to the monks' quarters in the near wall, St. Andrews Cathedral, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The cloister, St. Andrews Cathedral, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The west gable and processional entrance from the cloister, St. Andrews Cathedral, St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The Pends, St. Andrews, Fife, viewed from the end of North Street, 16th June, 2003.


The Pends, St. Andrews, Fife, viewed from the end of North Street, 16th June, 2003.


The Pends, St. Andrews, Fife, viewed from the end of North Street, 16th June, 2003.


A door in St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Hope Street, an attractive terrace at the west end of St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


The attractive terrace-end of Hope Street at the west end of St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


Abbotsford Crescent, an attractive terrace at the west end of St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003. Next time I'm rich, I'll live here!


St. Andrews Old Course and the clubhouse of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club (left-hand building) viewed from Old Station Road at the west end of St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


St. Andrews Old Course and the clubhouse of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club (left-hand building) viewed from Old Station Road at the west end of St. Andrews, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An RAF Tornado descends over Guardbridge paper mill towards the runway at RAF Leuchars, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An RAF Tornado descends over Guardbridge paper mill towards the runway at RAF Leuchars, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An RAF Tornado taxis towards the runway at RAF Leuchars, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An RAF Tornado taxis towards the runway at RAF Leuchars, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An RAF Tornado taxis towards the runway at RAF Leuchars, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


An RAF Tornado powers up prior to take-off from RAF Leuchars, Fife, 16th June, 2003.


With afterburners on, an RAF Tornado prepares to start down the runway at RAF Leuchars, Fife, 16th June, 2003. The racket at the end of the runway when one of those runs up to full power is phenomenal and of a completely different order to the nondescript hiss of modern airliners.
Tags: leuchars, st. andrews
Subscribe

Posts from This Journal “st. andrews” Tag

  • Day-trip to St. Andrews

    What a lovely, beautiful, fabulous day it was this morning. Sadly, I managed to waste half of the day by trundling all the way to college and back…

  • St. Andrews, Leuchars, and a spectacular sunset

    'The Three B's', a shop selling bedding, household and fancy goods in St. Andrews, Fife, owned by Messrs Bit and Bob, presumably! Seen on 1st…

  • St. Andrews

    Looking east along South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 27th August, 2004. Looking east along South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, 27th August, 2004.…

  • St. Andrews

    Gravestones in the burial ground at St. Andrews Cathedral, Fife, on the grey day of 28th August, 2003. A gravestone in the burial ground at St.…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Comments allowed for friends only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

  • 0 comments