One of two images from the RailScot web-site of a train approaching the closed station at Bathgate in 1971, fifteen years after closure of the line to passengers and fifteen years prior to its reopening as a branch from Edinburgh. The station on the recently-reopened through route to Armadale, Airdrie and Glasgow is positioned slightly further towards Edinburgh, beyond the very tight curve seen in the photos. This view is from the leading car of a diverted Glasgow Queen Street (Low Level) to Edinburgh Waverley train approaching Bathgate Upper station on Sunday, 7th March, 1971. On the right are car-carrying wagons for traffic from Bathgate's motor vehicle factory, converted from ex-passenger carriage underframes.
View back along the train towards Armadale as it passes through the partly demolished Bathgate Upper Station on 7 March, 1971. The junction for Bathgate Lower can be seen immediately beyond the trailing car. The train is a BR Swindon-built Class 126 inter-city DMU, introduced on Edinburgh-Glasgow services in 1957, and withdrawn a few weeks after the photo was taken after a working life of only thirteen years; a scandalous waste of investment typical of the post-Beeching era. A similar unit from the later batch built for the Glasgow-Ayr route is preserved at the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway in West Lothian.