Michael Laing (rock_dinosaur) wrote,
Michael Laing
rock_dinosaur

Kirkcaldy and Dunfermline


Evidence of anti-war feeling on a traffic-bollard in Kirkcaldy, 4th April, 2003.


Evidence of anti-war feeling on a traffic-bollard in Kirkcaldy, 4th April, 2003.


A goose seen in the Beveridge Park, Kirkcaldy, on 4th April, 2003.


A goose seen in the Beveridge Park, Kirkcaldy, on 4th April, 2003.


Roosting geese seen in the Beveridge Park, Kirkcaldy, on 4th April, 2003.


Roosting geese in the Beveridge Park, Kirkcaldy, Fife, 4th April, 2003.


Geese seen in the Beveridge Park, Kirkcaldy, on 4th April, 2003.


Dunfermline Abbey framed by the trunks of two monkey-puzzle trees in Pittencrieff Park, 4th April, 2003.


Dunfermline Abbey, the oldest surviving parts of which date from 1150, viewed from Pittencrieff Park, 4th April, 2003.

"The chief building in any monastery was the church. It was here that the monks offered up the perpetual round of prayers which was the main reason for the existence of their community. At Dunfermline it seems likely that the building of the church started very soon after its re-establishment as a full abbey in about 1128. Enough of it was completed by 1150 for it to be consecrated for worship."

(From information-plaque at the abbey.)


The Abbey Pend, which connected Dunfermline Abbey and Palace, viewed from St. Catherine's Wynd on 4th April, 2003.


The massive south wall of the refectory of Dunfermline Abbey which adjoins Monastery Street, viewed on 4th April, 2003.


The massive south wall of the refectory of Dunfermline Abbey which adjoins Monastery Street, viewed on 4th April, 2003.


The vaulted ceiling of the Abbey Pend, 4th April, 2003.


The ancient west entrance of Dunfermline Abbey, viewed on 4th April, 2003.


A view towards the west entrance of Dunfermline Abbey, 4th April, 2003.


A view towards the west entrance of Dunfermline Abbey, 4th April, 2003.


A westward view along the north aisle of Dunfermline Abbey, 4th April, 2003.


The south entrance to Dunfermline Abbey, 4th April, 2003.


A view towards the west wall of the refectory of Dunfermline Abbey and the Abbey Pend on 4th April, 2003.


A westward view along the massive south wall of the refectory of Dunfermline Abbey, 4th April, 2003.


The south elevation of the ancient part of Dunfermline Abbey, 4th April, 2003.


The eastern part of Dunfermline Abbey, which dates from the 19th century, viewed from the burial ground on 4th April, 2003.


The remains of St. Margaret's Chapel, built 1249, at the east end of Dunfermline Abbey. Presumably Queen Margaret (1047-1093, wife of King Malcolm III) is interred beneath the huge stone slabs. 4th April, 2003.

"St. Margaret, Queen of Scotland"

"The grand-daughter of the English King Edmund Ironside, Margaret was born in southern Hungary, to which Edmund's sons had been exiled upon his death. Margaret's family returned to England when she was ten years old, when her brother Edgar was designated to succeed Edward the Confessor. However, Edgar was never crowned, and after the Battle of Hastings William the Conqueror sent the family once again into exile. They took refuge in Dunfermline, then the burial-place of Scottish kings, and in 1070 Margaret married King Malcolm III, the son of Duncan."

(Historical information from a plaque outside a pub in Canmore Street, Dunfermline.)


A gothic stained-glass window in the north elevation of Dunfermline Abbey, 4th April, 2003.


The porch over the north entrance to Dunfermline Abbey, 4th April, 2003.


This plaque within the porch over the north entrance to Dunfermline Abbey reads, "ECCLESIA SANCTE TRINITATIS DE DUNFERMELYN DEDICATA AD MCL". My translation is 'Dunfermline Church of the Holy Trinity, dedicated AD 1150'. Seen on 4th April, 2003.


An eastward view of the refectory of Dunfermline Abbey, 4th April, 2003.


A plaque providing historical information on the life of Queen Margaret of Scotland seen on the wall of a pub in Canmore Street, Dunfermline, 4th April, 2003.
Tags: beveridge park, dunfermline, dunfermline abbey, kirkcaldy, pittencrieff park
Subscribe

Posts from This Journal “dunfermline” Tag

  • A Class 31 at Waverley and a wander around Pittencrieff Park

    Brush Type 2 (Class 31) No. 31 190 GRYPHON stands at the west end of the former South Loop Siding, otherwise known as The Klondyke, at Waverley…

  • A winter wonderland

    Looking down the High Street, Dunfermline, towards the City Chambers, 23rd February, 2005. The view down Guildhall Street, Dunfermline, from…

  • Pittencrieff Park

    The bark of a tree in Pittencrieff Park, Dunfermline, Fife, 11th May, 2004. The bark of a tree in Pittencrieff Park, Dunfermline, Fife, 11th…

  • A wander around Dunfermline

    Woodmill Viaduct viewed from the footbridge near the foot of St. Margaret's Drive, Dunfermline, 30th June, 1999. On 30th June, 1999, only the…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Comments allowed for friends only

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

  • 0 comments